The
Activity: Braiding
I chose the
braiding activity this week because I have a lot of colored thread bought from awhile
back, thinking I could teach students to make friendship bracelets, but it
never happened because of time constraints.
While
watching the Bachelor, I took the 2 hours to do my braiding. Yes, I had my laptop playing the braiding
instructions while watching the Bachelor on my iPad. Here are photos of the various
braids.
I tackled
the 7-strand braid first because it was the first video on the list.
Then the
3-strand braid.
Then the
5-strand braid.
And ended
with the 4-strand braid.
As I braided
my threads, I kept thinking counting the numbers, saying under/over, to keep
the rhythm and pattern in place. Unfortunately for me, I did get lost at times,
and I did not have the keen eye that Sandra has, and when I lost my rhythm, I
could not figure out how to continue, and had to unravel and start again. Perhaps the excitement of the Bachelor drama,
distracted my mind to keep focus on my braiding, and if the distraction was not
there, I may have had the patience to correct. This raises the questions, I
have in my classes, “Should students be allowed to listen to music while doing
seat work?” I always wonder how productive they are and how much they can focus
while doing the math.
While I was
braiding, I just thought of the videos I watched from making the ropes. I’ve
used heavy rope during a fitness class, but never have I ever thought how much
time, math, effort, and skill is taken to make the rope by the ropemaker in
Denmark. How the ropemaker was an
apprentice of ropemaking and then decided to continue with this as a
profession. There are apprenticeship courses that the VSB career education
program offers students as a grade 12 option, where they can start a career in
the trades (Ex. Mechanics, Hair cutting, Culinary Arts), where some students
may benefit from if they are interested in pursuing a career in the trades.
When I ask my current students about looking into a career path in the trades, the
interest was lack thereof, where parental pressures have deemed these career
paths as not as good as pursuing an academic degree. Whereas in my last school,
students embraced opportunities to go into the trades and showed their passion
and love for it because of teachers who shared their passion and experiences
and passed down to the students the benefits of working in this industry. Which
made realize how parental pressures does have a huge influence on a student’s
decision when it comes to picking courses, joining extra-curricular activities
and possible choices for their own future career paths. But positive role models from the teachers,
counsellors, coaches, peers, and mentors can also leave a huge imprint on students.
Common Threads:
Weaving Community Through Collaborative Eco-Art (Sharon Kallis)
In the reading from Sharon Kallis’s
Common Threads, she challenges us to think “Can we build our cities in such a
way as to support production as well as consumption?” producing our own “food,
clothes and shelter” within our own communities?
I have seen an increase of community gardens
throughout Vancouver, within our communities and at our schools, where at my
past school, the cafeteria teacher, used the crops grown as ingredients for the
school lunches, prepped by the students. I even saw my aunt picked up gardening
in our back garden as a retired hobby, and how her face lights up when the
tomatoes are ripe, the green onions are grown, or the how large the bitter
melon has grown. Somehow, my aunt claims her cooking tastes even better because
of her home-grown vegetables. Even
Sandra has her proud moments when her green beans or tomatoes are grown and
explains with pure joy how much better her crops are because it was from her
own garden.
Kallis ponders on the idea of “what if
we began to make some of the things, we need for ourselves again as a cultural
and social norm?” Through conversations on the phone with Sandra, I agree with
her thoughts regarding as busy working people, going to school, taking care of
family, the time required to make something of our own (ex. Sewing clothes, weaving
baskets, spinning yarn, knotting nets) is not a reality. The accessibility to
shop online for any items now-a-days for me is because of personal convenience. Mind you, I do enjoy cooking cultural meals
at home, rather than going to restaurants, which bonds me with my dad and my
aunt embracing the cuisines from my own culture.
Which raises a question to myself if my
thoughts and habit be can change? And I
think that is dependent on what the ideas are and what change is required from
me. I have seen change recently, where
people are now bringing their own shopping basket or fabric bags to go grocery
shopping as plastic bags are phasing out. I have seen how plastic straws are
now substituted with paper straws or lids with a wider drinking hole for people
to drink from. The shift in habit with throwing garbage a decade ago, compared
to now, where we put in thought to separate what should be recycled, what can
be compost, and what needs to be thrown.
These are evidence that changes within a community is possible.
Hey April,
ReplyDeleteYou definitely give me too much credit for my braiding. The 7-strand one the first time took me about an hour to do. Of course, the time was influenced by having the TV on that I was mostly just listening to but looked up every once in a while to see what was going on. Looking up resulted in losing track of the cord patterns and having to unwind a bit or look carefully at the pattern of cords to figure out where I left off. There are definitely mistakes in that 7-strand braid!
I also found more than 1 braid hard to get started. The beginning knot I tied would twist around and muck up the order of the strands. There was some kind of energy at play, I guess. It usually settled down after several rounds of the braiding pattern.
I connected with how you were chanting while you braided. I definitely did that, too. For the 4-strand braid I used the numbers from the pattern but for the 7-strand braid I said, “Over one, under two, over one, under two,…” where the ‘one’ and ‘two’ just refer to how many strands were at play rather than their placement in the sequence. I could tell when the pattern was becoming natural to me because I moved the chant into my head. If I got mixed up, I would say it out loud again. I don’t remember saying anything for the 5-strand braid, but that one was slightly familiar to me and I found the pattern more visually comprehensible. I didn’t need any linguistic support for the 3-strand – it is an automatic process for me.
You mentioned never noticing or thinking about the work that goes into ropes until you watched the Norwegian rope maker. I’m sure most rope is now made by machine but how the machinery evolved was based on the process of making rope by hand. Understanding the ancient origins gives an appreciation for the technology, both ancient and modern. Maybe this is what we offer our students when we bring making into math class, too – a way to appreciate where things come from at their root and how that connects to modern ways of making. Some of our students will go on to be the designers of modern technology for making things, too, and having an understanding of the origins will support their work. I think it is important to understand how things are made and produced even if we don’t make and produce the things ourselves in the end. I think we might take better care of things (Sharon Kallis mentioned this in Vested Interest) when we understand the work. My mom made her great-nieces beautiful fairy quilts for their beds but when my aunt visited them in Ontario she couldn’t find them anywhere. My cousin’s (now ex-) wife is more into status and trends and ‘belonging’ to a certain class of people and though she was raised on a blueberry farm, has little appreciation for hand-made things because I don’t think she has ever made anything for herself. My mom fully believes that the quilts were tossed out, probably for not matching some highly curated designer bed-room furnishings. I remember my dad being interviewed for the Canadian Gardner TV show on CBC and saying that in the very least he wanted us kids to learn where food comes from by being involved in the vegetable garden, even if we didn’t grow our own food when we were older. So, I think, as teachers, we can at least offer these experiences to students – growing food in a school garden, making things by hand, etc. – to at least connect them to land and place and culture to develop an appreciation for it. Maybe this might influence them as consumers, too.
I really appreciate the conversation here and all our talks this week! Thanks for helping me see things I didn’t see and take different perspectives!
Hi April,
ReplyDeleteRegarding your question:
“Should students be allowed to listen to music while doing seat work?”
Yes, I would allow students to listen to music while they do their work. I find it very difficult to concentrate if I don’t have music while I do my work. I place music that is not too loud or too distracting, but the music helps me to concentrate. I supposed not everyone can concentrate with the music on, but those who likes to listen to music should be allowed. However, watching tv shows like the bachelor where you need to be listening to carefully to understand their decisions, I would say that it is not a good idea to do the assignments and watch tv shows. Unless you are practicing how to make braids :)
Now, regarding the decision of students to go into a career on triads, I think the school plays an important role in guiding students. I applaud those teachers that help students by showing that there are other options such as mechanics and plumbing. Parents have a great influence on their children, but they don't listen and believe much of what parents tell them. Having a role model at school is very important.
My son is taking Car Mechanics now, and he loves the program. I haven’t seen him that happy going to school before. He made a video for an assignment about this topic. He suggested that schools should do more ‘marketing’ promoting these classes to students. According to him, it was very difficult for him to find information and to know what programs were available. I think schools should involve parents in information sessions and educate them in the importance of those fields. I know parents always want their children to be doctors or engineers. However, I believe we as parents always would like to see our children happy and useful in society no matter what profession they are in. I noticed that some schools/parents are less interested in having students in these fields and I guess that is the reason there is not a lot of information.
I agree with your comments on the role of teachers supporting students with choices in school, and I agree it would be great if schools supported parents by offering more accessible information on different types of programs. Parental pressure can be strong, and parents only want what is best for their children, but sometimes when we are so close to the situation, it can be hard to see what really is best. And in the end, we want our children to be fulfilled, regardless of what that looks like in a career.
DeleteI appreciated your thoughts on the Susan Kallis videos. I was a bit stuck on how (un)realistic the activities were, but the question you highlighted from the video gets to the heart of the matter, I think. “Can we build our cities in such a way as to support production as well as consumption?” As I think back on the activities in this course, many of them connected us with parts of our childhood, our culture… our own world in some way. The activities challenged us to consider how we view the world… and the mathematics within the world. You highlighted a few ways that our communities are working to build cities that are ecologically sustainable, rather than devastating to our planet. Habits are changing, but so slowly. As educators, I think we have an important role to play in speeding up the change, and part of that is highlighting the need for change, and presenting possibilities for students. This course has done that for me, presented possibilities…
ReplyDeleteI also felt empowered when I made the rope this week. I thought, if I were ever in a situation in the wilderness, and I need rope – I’d have a chance of successfully creating one. I’d just picture Susan and hear her saying twist, twist, twist, crossover. (It would also be a helpful skill on Survivor –my guilty pleasure show.) As students learn some of the skills we have talked about – gardening, knitting, even rope making, they will feel empowered too, rather than feeling like they are uncapable of taking care of themselves, without the help of modern conveniences bought from a store.
Thanks for the great observations, connections, and discussion, everyone! April, I appreciate the reflection on teachers' and parents' roles in students' decisions regarding career paths. There can definitely be differences at different schools. I agree with Joy that schools can help parents become more informed by offering more accessible information on various programs. And thanks for the positive attitude towards the environmental issue. Changes indeed are possible. As educators, we certainly can speed up the impact. Hopefully, with more of us being aware, things will slowly improve.
ReplyDelete