Surfing the Möbius Band: An Example of the Union of Art and Mathematics (Francisco Saez de Adana)
Francisco Saez de Adana wrote in this article how the Möbius band inspired storylines for comics, novels, and TV shows. The Möbius band, a single surface strip, was discovered in 1958 by German mathematicians August Ferdinand Möbius and Johann Benedict Listing. My first stop was to understand how to make a Möbius strip. In week 2, I did not do the activity to making the Möbius bagel but I did remember watching the Vi Hart video with the Möbius music box (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iMI_uOM_fY&t=14s). The music paper (folded in a Möbius strip) fed into the box which was folded in a way so that it can continuously play music from one long surface (which may look like two sides but in fact is one). To understand the definition of Möbius Strip better, I watched Neil deGrasse Tyson explains the Möbius Strip video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLgCq4ikl78. DeGrasse Tyson shows through paper activities how to make the Möbius Strip. At the 9 minutes mark, his guest Chuck Nice showed how he made a Möbius Strip art piece with a 3D printer before he knew the definition of Möbius Strip. But because of it, he colored his piece he assumed one part red, the other part black locking with a middle puzzle piece. From his error, he ended up creating a story of how the black side and the red side are coming together at that interlocking piece (Figure 1). Like the “basic objectives of Bridges: the union of mathematics and arts” highlighted in the paper.
Figure 1: Chuck Nice showing his 3D print Mobius Strip
In Saez de Adana’s paper, he writes about how artistic narratives can be inspired by math such as the Möbius band. An example: Jack Kirby created a character called the Silver Surfer, part of Stan Lee’s Marvel comic series, where in issue 11 story titled “The Moebius Madness of the Silver Surfer” The writers Slott and Allred arranged the story in a Möbius band. (Figure 2)
Figure 2: Page layout in Silver Surfer issue 11 showing infinite loop as a Mobius band
Other
inspiration of narratives noted in this paper where in Star Trek: The Next Generation,
where the character Worf talked about the “Theory of the Mobius” how it “twists
the fabric of space where time becomes looped” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNb4VKln1uw).
Back then, in the 90’s I have watched this series, but never did I noticed that
the ideas inspired could come from math. The embedded use of the aspects of the
Möbius band mentioned in Star Trek “twists” and “loop”
combining it with ideas of “time” and “space” is imaginative and form of
critical thinking. I was curious if the Möbius
band was used in other forms of pop culture, so I continued to search on YouTube.
I found a clip where Tony Stark solves time travel in Avengers: Endgame (2019):
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGQrjcoK4c). The clip showed how Tony Stark was analyzing
information from the Möbius band and was able to solve his
issue with time travel.
It
is great to see how people can use their imaginations to use math symbols and ideas
and embed them into the main plots and stories of comics, novels, TV shows, and
movies. Not only that but to at another layer to it with “time” and “space” and
taking something abstract to solve an issue that is science fiction, does take
a level of higher order thinking. I can totally see a group of students being
able to visualize these ideas from pop culture, debating about the Möbius band and how it can affect “time and
space” and use their imaginations to produce alternative solutions to solve
these science fiction problems.
The Activity: Writing Fib Poems
My first attempt at a Fib Poem, I made the mistake of assuming that it was based on a word count instead of counting the syllables.
“7” (by April Jung)
Seven
Lucky
number seven
Three plus four
or root four plus five
Different methods, reaching to the lucky number seven
Ten over two plus two
six plus one
All equals
to
Seven
Realizing
my mistakes made from my first Fib poem, I decided to follow the proper rules
to writing when writing my 2nd Fib poem. This time, inspired by the mathematicians
at Bridges 2021 reciting their own work via video, I too made a video reciting
my next poem.
“Sigh” (by April Jung)
Math
“Blah!”
Complaints
by students
“Why must we do this?”
If only they see Math’s beauty
Fibonacci poems, from what I understand from the Poetry in the Glade: Bridges 2021 Fib Collection site, have the sequence applied in many different ways. However, the Fib is specific that it is applied to syllables and has 6 lines.
ReplyDeleteSo - love the first one how it goes up by word count and back down. I read/viewed Daniel May's poems and he had a poem that worked like this with Fibonacci.
I like that you recorded your poem. Hearing a poem is different than reading a poem. Seeing and hearing at the same time is a nice experience, too.
Now you are all ready to submit to Bridges 2022 poetry reading! No further work required!
April
ReplyDeleteA stop for me in your post was when you said, “I can totally see a group of students being able to visualize these ideas from pop culture, debating about the Möbius band and how it can affect “time and space” and use their imaginations to produce alternative solutions to solve these science fiction problems.” This is so true. I think anytime we can connect mathematics to pop culture, we are able to engage students and open up the ways that they think about mathematics. It reminds me of the Tik Tok videos by Kyne Santos – The Math Drag Queen - This is Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rINBD3FCZYo. It also reminds me of Francis Su (maybe because he was mentioned I think by Sandra in a different post) and his ideas that Mathematics is for Human Flourishing. These are three different platforms, that all engage students with mathematics. It connects with Lida’s article on Humanizing Mathematics. I see the positive connections of art and mathematics as broadening students understanding of what mathematics is and the value of it.
I love that you included your first attempt of a Fib poem, even after realizing you had used word count instead of syllables – you still created a great mathematical poem. I also loved the video. Thanks for sharing!
I made the same mistake with the Fib poems. I was thinking it was accepted to have words.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the links for more information for the Möbius band. I have found this type of bands fascinating. A friend and I designed a ring similar to a Möbius band. It was hard because we couldn't have the ring made with only one piece. I guess the designer couldn't bend (or whatever they do) the gold. I may post a picture in my blog. :)
This is a fun activity to work with students. You don't need to speak specific language to understand it.
Wonderful April, I enjoyed your mathematical poem and video!
ReplyDeleteI assumed a Fib poem can be both word and syllable based, though like how you responded to the perceived mistake. Mobius remedying by reworking, recording, having fun, and engaging our imaginations, patience, and conversation!