Week 1: Mathematics and the body
The Recalibration of My Own Body
On Tuesday, January 11th, 2022, I got off work,
drove home, and immediately ate a Chinese deep-fried savory dumpling, left at
my kitchen table by my aunt upstairs. An hour later, my stomach started to gurgle,
and I knew what I ate was not sitting well in my stomach. Like I was possessed
by the devil, my body reacted, vomiting, peeing, pooping, cold sweats and the
feeling of a sharp pain on my left abdomen. Trying hard to go through the
motions of intense suffering and pain, I kept thinking “Why me? What have I done
wrong recently? I have been on good behavior for 2022.” That night I ended up calling 911, but ambulance
said the wait time is 2 hours, so I decided to take the taxi to Burnaby General
Hospital instead. In emergency, I sat for 4 hours before I got to see the
doctor. While I was crunching my body in fetal position, comforting the pain
from my left abdomen, I noted how other people in emergency were organized, spacing
themselves around the perimeter of the emergency room. I was amazed at how
effective the use of chairs as a measure to keep social distancing during the
pademic. Once I got to see the doctor, he noted my blood and urine tests
earlier and said it was good and sent me to get my x-rays to check my left body
for the sharp pain. Everything was okay so the emergency doctor prescribed morphine,
which eased me to a deep slumber like a baby. After an hour, the emergency
doctor woke me up, and gave me the diagnosis that it was food poisoning. He
recommended that I should keep track of the sharp pain on my left abdomen with my
family doctor. I got home by 2:30am, took 2 days off work, to rest and
recalibrate my body. Looking at my own cycle of pattern with sleep, fluids drunk,
washroom, amount eaten, and measure of left abdomen pain level, by day 2, all
was restored back to normal. I was able to eat and drink normally, pass bowel
movement, and best of all the pain on my left abdomen started to fade. Ironically through the entire situation, I
was able to us math to help me assess the situation, to make important decisions,
and using it to help me understand my own body system.
Changing My Perspectives
The memories of my math experiences as a high school student
are teacher lead lessons, students seated in ordered rows, listening, copying
notes, and working on math exercises, practicing the math skills taught that
day. I never questioned the process and scored well on tests based on rote
memory. Indeed, the understanding aspect with math was not fully develop, until
I reached university.
Flash forward 30 years later, students these days are not complacent
at just accepting algorithms and rules to math and are more engaged in math if
they understood what they are learning. From being a student in the UBC MAED
courses, combined with teaching high school students through the pandemic, my perspective
in how and why we teach math is changing. Antosen’s (TED talk, 2015) claimed
that “the nature of understanding” is “the ability to change perspective”. This perspective in understanding me as a math
teacher, how my students operate, and what math is relevant and important, helps
me plan how I should deliver and teach my lessons. To listen more and learn
also from each student, catering to their learning needs, helping them enjoy
the math, learning these transferrable skills that will help them make good
choices in their future work, family, and personal life.
Seeing the Graph Vs Being the Graph (Gerofsky, 2011)
In Gerofsky’s paper, her study involved the analysis of how
well math teachers (4 participants) and secondary students (22 participants) in
Grade 8 and Grade 11 communicated mathematical graphs using gestures and
non-math language. The secondary students ranged in math ability and were recommended
by their math teachers for this study.
Note each student’s math ability was not disclosed to the researcher
till after the data was collected, analyzed, and categorized. Participant’s sessions
were videotaped the first week and were videotaped a second session the week
after to posed questions and analyzed on the gestures used to describe the
mathematical graphs. Her findings
categorized participants into three groups:
“Arm’s length visual model” (11 of
22 students): Average hard-working rote
memory students
-
Use small movements and gestures to draw or
trace air graphs at the upper body level
-
Students who followed rules and algorithms and
lack imagination
-
Kept math ideas at arm’s length for control and
being correct
“Being the graph/being in the graph”
(9 of 22 students; 4 of 4 teachers): Top
math students
-
Use whole body movement to represent graphs
(Visceral approach)
-
Placed x-axis on their bodies
-
Students who can use their imagination to
exhibit their understanding
-
Multiple metaphors and verbal/kinesthetic/visual
representation
“Inaccurate, not aware of what counts
as salient” (2 of 22 students): Risk of failing students
-
Had difficulty making the gestures for the
graphs
-
Rushed through the task and omitted sections
-
Struggle with perceiving the graphs
Results from categorizing the students based on the Gerofsky
student’s graph gestures study were then compared to the teacher’s assessment
of the students in math ability it was 95% accurate (21/22 students were correctly
categorized).
This study suggests an alternative perspective can be used to assess students with their math. In this case using gestures graphs as a possible method to catch at risk students who struggle with math early and get them the support and help needed.
The Activity
Currently, I have a grade 11 student name Ricky, who failed
Workplace Math 10 last year due to his struggle with the pandemic and his own personal
mental health with anxiety and depression. In grade 8 and 9, he was a Learning
Support Student (LSP) who did not adapt well as he transition to regular classes
in grade 10. As a new teacher at this school this year, I decided to dedicate Workplace
Math 10 support online hours every Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 to 5pm.
Operating it like a virtual math homework club. Ricky was accountable online
and as time progress he was even ready to come to school to do the written
assessment in person at lunches. In
December, his mother got offered a new job, and his family was prepared to move
from Vancouver to Surrey. He promised to commit and finish the Workplace Math
so that he will receive the credits for this course. His last assignment given tied nicely to the Susan’s
math activity using the body to estimate measurements. I asked him to draw out
the floor plan to his new home in Surrey and to use his feet to measure the
dimensions of his place. Once his floor plan was submitted, I asked him to
explain his work, and posed any math questions I had with his diagrams. The question
he stumped on was the proportions of his drawings, if it made sense or not. All in all, he loved the fact that this task
made sense, it was tangible, game like and fun. He put in time to not only
measure but the details in his legends share with me his excitement living in a
new place. Although he struggled in Vancouver, I could hear his excitement in
living a new life in Surrey. Going to start fresh in a new secondary school in
Surrey for him is his recalibration in his life. I informed him that he has
shown me enough to get the credit to pass the Workplace Math 10 course and the
tone in his voice was happy and thankful.
If I had stayed in the traditional way of teaching, learning, and assessing perspectives of math, for sure the LSP student would have failed the course. But because I have extended my thoughts and ideas to better support, and understand and listen to each student’s needs and what really is important for their own personal growth and success, does it really matter if a student doesn’t understand an algorithm that has no meaning or relevance to them in their future? This week has recalibrated my mind, body, and soul literally.
Jen W. (AKA 'Magnus Flotsam') reporting!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all: yikes to your food poisoning experience. It is amazing you were lucid enough to take in the arrangement of chairs in the lobby of emerg. Having such a math lens is evidence, perhaps, of how it is a meaningful way of making sense of the world.
Regarding Susan's article: did anything about the results surprise you? Or did it make sense given your experience as a math teacher? Do you think you would have 'been the graph' if you had been a part of the study?
I'll comment on your student's work later...
It is the math lens that helps make me decide which hospital is closest, taxi or wait for ambulance, spacing of people in the emergency lobby, and so forth. And I believe this is numeracy in action and key skills that we make daily, that students should recognize as part of math. How these scenarios help us make our choices, may it be right or wrong, learning from it.
DeleteSusan's research and how she noted the details to categorize the students to their math abilities was insightful. Her results categorizing the participants' graph gestures then code it to math skill abilities made sense. I was surprised at how the gesture graph activities can produce such accurate data on students' ability with math. Yes, I totally would be the type that embodied the math graph and use my entire body to be the graph only because it sound like fun.
April, I had no idea you have been so sick. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Very distressing when the patterns of our bodies and our day is "off".
ReplyDeleteGood point how we as humans operate on some form of routine and if that pattern is broken, our day does feel "off" due to the lost of control.
DeleteOk. I'd like to offer a comment and question about your Workplace Math student. First, your caring comes across loud and clear. You have a heart for students going through rough times. They are lucky to have you in their lives. Second, I had no idea that you had such flexibility in the grade 10 math workplace curriculum. What aspect of the grade 10 curriculum did the measuring activity align with, out of curiosity? If you could add it to grade 10 math, would you? Would most students appreciate the chance to use their bodes in grade 10, do you think?
ReplyDeleteI think my perspective with Workplace Math 10 has change immensely during the pandemic and while going through our Masters program. Especially when you have LSP students or students who come from an alternative education program that are "at risk" students. Knowing that students have been in a program with have the amount of students and at a slower adaptive pace, made me recognize that traditional practices with math, using the rote memory is not something they relate too. Regarding your questions about Workplace Math 10 curriculum, the assessing portion of it is in regards to the core competencies now. And from going the the multiple Pro-D day sessions and workshops and even Kevin Li's UBC Assessment course, curriculum can be the ground work to be use to assess how they interpret information, think and analyze, collaborate and communicate what they learn in math. So I use the Curriculum as the guides to measure the Core Competencies. Workplace Math 10 students absolutely love it when we do activities and crafts. Especially when they get to collaborate with a partner or even when they are in competition.
DeleteHey April, I'm not in your reading group but I saw your post about the food poisoning. I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through that pain :(. I'm grateful that the doctor's were able to figure out what was wrong and I hope the medication and time will help with getting you back on your feet. Hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your thoughts Christina. I was like worried about Covid, school, and work. Thinking about how much stuff I had to get done when in reality, when one is sick, one should try their best to turn of the responsibility mode and relax to recover. What was funny was the perception my students had of me when I returned to class two days later. First question was "Ms.Jung, do you have covid?" which I responded "No".
DeleteWow April - what a week you have had! I am glad to hear you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your posts this week (aside from being ill of course.) I think your ideas of integrating this activity within workplace 10 was fantastic. I have often found that students taking workplace 10 benefit (and enjoy) engaging with the math. I once had students build birdhouses (from kits). This activity was well received and covered 2 units. I am curious what you would do with some of the other units now that you've tried something new.
April, oh my! What an awful experience of severe food poisoning! I'm so glad that you got medical help and that you recovered quickly -- and like Jen, I'm very impressed that you were able to keep your 'math mind' operating even through pain and nausea! It give the idea of body recalibration a whole different (and deeper) meaning. I often find that logic is calming in a crisis too. I'll even do sudokus as a way of calming down in a high-adrenalin situation.
ReplyDeleteIt is so wonderful to hear about your student's response to the body measurement activity, especially when you brought it together with his pleasure at moving to a new home. I love his comments!! What a thoughtful and relational way of teaching and understanding where kids are at in their learning!